Re: 7.3.2 client connecting to 7.2.1 server problem

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Jeff <asdf(at)asdf(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.3.2 client connecting to 7.2.1 server problem
Date: 2003-09-20 20:25:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 21:55, Jeff wrote:
> I have the following packages installed on my system:
>
> libpq3: 7.3.2r1-5
> python-pygresql: 7.3.2r1-5
> postgresql: 7.2.1-2woody2
> postgresql-client: 7.2.1-2woody2

[This is clearly a Debian system.]
You seem to have done a partial upgrade to testing; the effect will be
that you have two versions of the libpq library, and python-pygresql
will not be using the same one as pgsql. It looks as though I made the
dependencies too loose in that testing release.

> In my application, which is written in python, I get a "server closed the
> connection unexpectedly" exception after executing a few sql commands. I
> print each query before I execute it (debugging) so I tried executing the
> queries through psql with no problems.
>
> Is there a known incompatibility between the versions of client/server that
> I'm using? Or a known bug in pygresql?

I suggest you upgrade to the version from unstable (7.3.4-5). Testing
is held up and isn't getting timely upgrades; I would not, myself,
consider it as good as unstable until we get very close to a new Debian
release.

Unstable has versioned python packages. If you want woody versions of
the postgresql packages, you can get them with this apt line:

deb http://people.debian.org/~elphick/debian main

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver