Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows
Date: 2003-09-19 21:26:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 12:31, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> > > I got message from nusphere.com about windows port of PostgreSQL.
> > > They're looking for full time developer in Russia,Moscow.
> >
> > > Is this is a joke ?
> >
> > No, I expect they're serious. NuSphere does still own the PeerDirect
> > windows port that Jan worked on at his former job. They need someone
> > to maintain that and bring it forward to newer versions of PG. It's
> > not going to be a long-term product (assuming that we ever finish the
> > community's native port), so they need to keep the costs down. I'm
> > not surprised that they'd be looking to send the development overseas
> > instead of keeping it at their US offices.
>
> Hmm, I suspect they have some developers here in Russia. At least full text
> search resembles me MnogoSearch. Anyway, I'm not willing to work with them.
> Postgres forever

Don't be too hasty. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd welcome an
updated commercial native windows solution (When's SRA's port coming out
in 1.0?) , especially if they'd be willing to provide a "diff" of the
code back to the community. We might as well have someone get paid for
work we will probably have to do anyways...

Robert Treat