initdb problem

From: Andy Callan <acallan1(at)nd(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: initdb problem
Date: 2003-09-18 09:01:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

My installation of PostgreSQL was created when i installed a GIS application but it does
not appear to have a data cluster specified so I did the following:

[Computer:local/pgsql/bin] andrewcallan% ./initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "andrewcallan".

Fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... chmod: /usr/local/
pgsql/data: Operation not permitted

initdb failed.

Also just for kicks I tried to startup to server since i don't know exactly what the auto-
install did and did not do and this is what happened:

[Computer:local/pgsql/bin] andrewcallan% ./postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
FATAL 1: data directory /usr/local/pgsql/data has group or world access;
permissions should be u=rwx (0700)

--I created the /data directory just with a mkdir as the root b/c at the time i did not
know if initdb would create it if it didn't exist, its my understanding initdb will change the
permissions as needed so this problem should go away....

I am completely new to PostgreSQL and have spent the last couple weeks playing with
installing both it and mySQL to try to link some data to the GIS application so I really do
not know what am I doing and this could be a really stupid mistake, please be gentle....
Many thanks for your assistance.

--
Andy Callan
St. Thomas More College