Re: Patch to fix FK-related selectivity estimates with constants

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Patch to fix FK-related selectivity estimates with constants
Date: 2020-10-27 17:58:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Over in the thread at [1] it's discussed how our code for making
> selectivity estimates using knowledge about FOREIGN KEY constraints
> is busted in the face of EquivalenceClasses including constants.
> Attached is a patch series that attacks it that way.

I'd failed to generate a test case I liked yesterday, but perhaps
the attached will do. (While the new code is exercised in the
core regression tests already, it doesn't produce any visible
plan changes.) I'm a little nervous about whether the plan
shape will be stable in the buildfarm, but it works for me on
both 64-bit and 32-bit machines, so probably it's OK.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
0003-add-a-test-case.patch text/x-diff 3.2 KB