Re: State of Beta 2

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: State of Beta 2
Date: 2003-09-12 20:04:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 10:50, Andrew Rawnsley wrote:
> Small soapbox moment here...
>
> ANYTHING that can be done to eliminate having to do an initdb on
> version changes would make a lot of people do cartwheels. 'Do a
> dump/reload' sometimes comes across a bit casually on the lists (my
> apologies if it isn't meant to be), but it can be be incredibly onerous
> to do on a large production system. That's probably why you run across
> people running stupid-old versions.

And this will become even more of an issue as it's PG's popularity
grows with large and 24x7 databases.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net
Jefferson, LA USA

An ad run by the NEA (the US's biggest public school TEACHERS
UNION) in the Spring and Summer of 2003 asks a teenager if he
can find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the elements.
And they wonder why people think public schools suck...