Re: How to force Nested Loop plan?

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to force Nested Loop plan?
Date: 2003-09-01 15:22:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 18:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rob Nagler <nagler(at)bivio(dot)biz> writes:
> > Are there plans for explicit hints to the planner?
>
> Personally, I'm philosophically opposed to planner hints; see previous
> discussions in the archives.

How about (if you don't already do it) ranked (or approximately
ranked) b-tree indexes, where each node also stores the (approximate)
count of tuple pointers under it?

This way, the planner would know whether or how skewed a tree is,
and (approximately) how many tuples a given WHERE predicate resolves
to.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Fair is where you take your cows to be judged."
Unknown