Re: Linux ready for high-volume databases?

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux ready for high-volume databases?
Date: 2003-08-27 07:32:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 23:35, Greg Stark wrote:
> Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)fireserve(dot)net> writes:
[snip]
> This doesn't provide what online backups do, of recovery to the minute of the
> crash. And I get nervous having only logical pg_dump output, no backups of the
> actual blocks on disk. But is that what everybody does?

Gak!! It can never be guaranteed that the "actual blocks on disk"
are transactionally consistent. Thus, the pg_dump output is suff-
icient.

However, there is still the large problem of PITR. Unless you
double your h/w and run Postgresql-R, you can not guarantee recov-
ery to an exact point in time if there is a hardware failure that
destroys the database.

Therefore, you can only restore databases to the time that the
last pg_dump was taken.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net
Jefferson, LA USA

The difference between Rock&Roll and Country Music?
Old Rockers still on tour are pathetic, but old Country singers
are still great.