trying to use contrib/rserv...

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)rdw(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: trying to use contrib/rserv...
Date: 2002-02-26 13:31:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings!

Well, it does work (or seems to), but:

1) Makefile is (most probably) broken around line 25:
sed 's,@MODULE_FILENAME@,$$libdir/$(NAME),g' $< >$@
and line 28:
sed -e 's,@MODULE_FILENAME@,$$libdir/$(NAME),g' \

Here '$$libdir/$(NAME)' should be changed to '$(pkglibdir)/$(SONAME)'
to produce the correct path to rserv.so

2) ApplySnapshot is broken due to a stupid typo, its line 35 is:
my $conn = Pg::connectdb(sinfo);

there should be a '$' before 'sinfo'

Besides, ApplySnapshot as well as other utilities prints just a
'ERROR' on all error conditions regardless of all --debug or --verbose
options. I only managed to get useful error messages by manually
commenting out
$quiet = 1;
from RServ.pm

3) The supplied README.rserv is misleading. It states:
<quote>
MasterAddTable dbname table column
sets up triggers for the specified table and column. Note that this
column must be updated for replication to occur.
</quote>

In fact if I do a MasterAddTable with a serial field PK
replication works perfectly well even if the column is
never changed itself.

4) And the last question: is contrib/rserv currently maintained?

--
Yours, Alexey V. Borzov, Webmaster of RDW.ru