a: queries across databases b: plperl

From: "Wayne M(dot) Syvinski" <matthew(at)techcelsior(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: a: queries across databases b: plperl
Date: 2003-08-17 20:10:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

Sirs and Madams:

I have been researching PostgreSQL for some time in anticipation of
migrating my most important application from MSAccess to something
*NIX-based.

I've settled on FreeBSD (love it as a desktop/workstation OS) and am
using PostgreSQL 7.3.3 (compiled from ports collection).

2 things

A. I read in one of my PostgreSQL books that you cannot execute queries
across databases. What I have are several lookup tables that I need to
reference from other databases. Each project requires its own database,
and I don't want to copy those huge tables to each database I am using.
I also have up to 5 project databases going at any one time. Did I
understand wrong, or if I understood right, is there a workaround, or am
I stuck using MySQL for this?

B. I cannot get PostgreSQL to accept plperl as a language. Here's what
I posted to another forum (for which I did not get a satisfactory
answer).

Compiled PostgreSQL 7.3.3. from ports. I didn't know that shared
libraries were required from Perl to use plperl.

So I recompiled Perl 5.8.0 from ports - amended Makefile to allow
threads and shared libraries
(-Dusethreads=y -Duseithreads=y -Duseshrplib=y) (I enabled threads
because I needed them to try something in MySQL)

Then I compiled plperl from ports.

I logged in as root and su to pgsql (postgres user) and type:

CREATE FUNCTION plperl_call_handler() RETURNS opaque AS
'/usr/local/lib/postgresql/plperl.so' LANGUAGE 'C';

This didn't work. I get back <deletia> Undefined symbol
"Perl_sv_2pv_flags".

I ran make again and sent the output to a text file. I checked the
output and it was using the aforementioned version of perl.

Any help is greatly appreciated

--
Wayne M. Syvinski - matthew(at)techcelsior(dot)com
FreeBSD: A Declaration of Independence from Windows