Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start)

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start)
Date: 2003-07-30 17:39:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 09:25, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Gogulus wrote:
>
> > As the clients should be able to work without network connection, they
> > have to have a local database, and if net connection is on, do the
> > synchronization with master db. The main idea is, sale cannot stop
> > because of net connection breakage.
> >
> > That's why I am asking if 100 Mhz of CPU, 32 Mbytes of RAM can take care
> > of a database with around 100 tables, 3-4 of these tables having
> > 50-60000 of records, others have at most 1000.
>
> I would say yes, but I would also say that you should design this around a
> character based interface. The overhead of a GUI is gonna make it much
> slower.
>
> I don't know if you're familiar with the ncurses library, but that's what
> I'd use, along with C or a lightweight scripting language like Perl or
> PHP.

Or Python, which has an excellent curses library.

How could he do local and remote access in PHP? Wouldn't a local
Apache server (which takes more RAM) be necessary?

Also regarding PHP, "links" is a great text-mode web browser that
handles style sheets and frames.

| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA |
| |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian |
| because I hate vegetables!" |
| unknown |