Re: Clone a database to other machine

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clone a database to other machine
Date: 2003-07-28 21:41:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 15:38, Terence Chang wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> I am just wondering if this is a doable method to clone a database to
> other machine. I have three identical linux serves with postgresql
> server installed at the same location. I have a new customized
> database and initial data load into server 1. Can I just copy all of
> the database files physically from server 1 to server 2 and server 3?
> I assume this is one of the method to restore a database.
>
> What I am trying to do is to sell a solution package to clients. The
> solution will include Linux + Apache + PHP + PostgreSQL. So every
> customers will have the same database configuration initially.
>
> Any other suggestion?

Why not send them gzipped output from pg_dumpall along with an
initdb script? It's smaller, and "position independent".

| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA |
| |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian |
| because I hate vegetables!" |
| unknown |