PG 7.3.1 with ssl on linux hangs (testcase available)

From: Hans-Jürgen Hay <hjh(at)alterras(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: hjh(at)alterras(dot)de
Subject: PG 7.3.1 with ssl on linux hangs (testcase available)
Date: 2003-07-26 16:36:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

since I moved from postgres 7.1 to 7.3 I get hangs when executing a
select on certaint rows with binary data using psql

The problem is reproducible and affects only single rows in the table .
The hangs happen only when I connect via network unsing psql -h
localhost template1

And the problem is gone, when ssl is switched off in postgresql.conf
But the problem seems to be on the client side, cause its the same using
a 7.1 server.

I have generated a testcase with 2 rows, one works the other not:

The table looks like this

create table testy (
id integer,
data bytea
);

(I can send a dump of the table with the offending rows to anybody
interessted by mail -- its about 130 K )

select * from testy where id=28162 --> works
select * from testy where id=28163 --> hangs + process goes up to
99% utilisation

The offending row is much larger, that might trigger.

I use a debian system with:
postgresql 7.3.3-1 client and server

--
Hans-Jürgen Hay <hjh(at)alterras(dot)de>