Re: pg_locale compilation error with Visual Studio 2017

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_locale compilation error with Visual Studio 2017
Date: 2018-05-12 17:11:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 10:39:07AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Another idea would be to replace the whole mess with a lookup table,
>> although how to fill the table or maintain it in future would be
>> problematic too.

> Let's never do that..

Well, I dunno. There are a couple of advantages:

* It'd be independent of MSVC version, presumably, so we could
hope that it would stay fixed.

* It'd work for MinGW builds, which the current solution doesn't
(according to the comments in IsoLocaleName anyway).

Maintenance would be an issue, of course, but I doubt it'd be any
worse than for the Windows-timezone-name lookup table we have in
initdb/findtimezone.c. Which we've only touched twice in the last
seven years, AFAICT, and only one of those was per user complaint.