A few problems with the ODBC driver

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: A few problems with the ODBC driver
Date: 2003-06-30 12:38:37
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi list,

I'm still trying to find my way around the ODBC arena, so please forgive me if I
ask something irrelevant. I am trying to migrate an application that currently
works on Windows with MS-SQL and Oracle to also work with PG-SQL. I've
downloaded the 7.3.100 ODBC driver. The problems are independant, but if anyone
manages to solve my first problem, I'm not going to care about the other ones.

1. The application is successful in seeing the database, and in getting the rows
from it. When it tries to modify a row, however, we get an error that says "Only
SQL_POSITION/REFRESH is supported for PGAPI_SetPos". Searching the sources
reveals that the line is issued as a result of line 2762 of "result.c". The
preceding lines show that either the odbc driver was compiled without
DRIVER_CURSOR_IMPLEMENT, or the cursor is a read only cursor. Tracing the MFC
stack reveals that the program does try to create a ROW_VER cursor. Could it be
that the binary ODBC available from the mirrors does not support cursors? Why?

2. I tried to compile a replica of the driver I downloaded. I followed the
instructions in README.TXT. Created the project in Visual Studio 6. Added the
def file (I opted for psqlodbc_win32.def, as that's the only one that matched
the name of the DLL I was supposed to create). The result was that the project
wouldn't compile. I tried to run ./configure from cygwin before, and now it
would compile, but throw an exception when I try to run it. What do I need to do
in order to recompile a copy of the binary version given at the site?

3. When I try to install the ODBC drivers by placing the DLL and merging the
registry changes, I get an error when I try to connect to the driver. The error
is "The setup routines for the PostgreSQL ODBC driver could not be loaded due to
system error code 126." It is followed by "Could not load the setup or
translator library". Any idea what the problem may be?

Many thanks,

Shachar