Re: Fwd: Re: enabling postgresql by default

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Chris Smith <csmith(at)squiz(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: enabling postgresql by default
Date: 2003-06-24 15:22:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 03:47, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > I'm trying to say (badly) that we'd like postgres by default.
>
> Yes, but I think we'd have more luck asking for 'level playing field'. That
> fair to everyone then, otherwise we just become the next MySQL!

yes, but they are talking are already about switching from mysql to
sqlite. if they are going to switch to *something* i see no reason not
to lobby that they switch to postgresql. the problem with mysql arose
from them switching their libraries to gpl licensing (which forces
people to either use gpl or buy a license from mysql), we're never going
to do that, so php never has to worry about that.

imo sqlite is a "step back" from mysql as far as capabilities go; i
think many of their users would rather have a "step forward", and
postgresql can offer that.

Robert Treat
--
Build A Better Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL