Re: postgreSQL on NAS/SAN?

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgreSQL on NAS/SAN?
Date: 2003-06-17 19:38:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 13:20, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 01:11:49PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > I do recommend a a local checking like watchdog or mon, so a restart is
> > > tried before the takeover. And I'd make sure the primary machine stays
> > > down.
> >
> > This is going to sound bad to users of Open Source OSs and databases,
> > but for all work that has to go into clustering machines and making
> > databases work with them...
>
> Which indeed is load balancing again. I thought we were talking about a
> simple failover solution. Yes, I know VMS can do that as well. :-)

How quickly do the (h/w and manpower) costs of "simple failover"
escalate?

| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
| thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear |
| thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV) |