Re: Postgres Connections Requiring Large Amounts of Memory

From: Dawn Hollingsworth <dmh(at)airdefense(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ben Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres Connections Requiring Large Amounts of Memory
Date: 2003-06-17 11:03:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

Each stored procedure only updates one row and inserts one row.

I just connected the user interface to the database. It only does
selects on startup. It's connection jumped to a memory usage of 256M.
It's not getting any larger but it's not getting any smaller either.

I'm going to compile postgres with the SHOW_MEMORY_STATS. I'm assuming I
can just set ShowStats equal to 1. I'll also pare down the application
to only use one of the stored procedures for less noise and maybe I can
track where memory might be going. And in the meantime I'll get a test
going with Postgres 7.3 to see if I get the same behavior.

Any other suggestions?

-Dawn