Re: Require Assistance Solving Problem - erroneous pg_hba.conf

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Greg Kelley" <gkelley(at)britannicaviation(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Require Assistance Solving Problem - erroneous pg_hba.conf
Date: 2003-04-17 14:40:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Greg Kelley" <gkelley(at)britannicaviation(dot)com> writes:
> pgsql log shows:

> FATAL: Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for
> details
> "OG: parse_hba: invalid syntax in pg_hba.conf file at line 31, token "

> Even the log entry doesn't look right - double quotes - and the .conf file
> certainly doesn't have 31 lines!

Indeed. I think it's a Windows-newline issue: you probably edited the
config file with something that put in \r\n instead of \n. The
overstruck LOG is a dead giveaway...

I thought we had fixed the various config file parsers to be reasonably
impervious to stray \r's, but you may have found a corner case where
it's not recognized as whitespace. Try getting rid of the \r's.