Re: The best

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The best
Date: 2003-06-02 19:16:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 13:20, Tony Grant wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 18:28, scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> > MySQL is designed as a high speed data storage system with minimal
> > relational capabilities and almost non-existent contraint capabilities.
> > Since database speed has never been an issue for the stuff I do, I've
> > never needed to sacrifice the rich environment of Postgresql for the
> > faster one of MySQL in production.
>
> I would add to that - recent versions of PostgreSQL are not slow. And it
> makes a great back end for second generation webapps.
>
> Speed is no longer an issue.

When your join predicate "halves" both use the same datatype.

Also, the common aggregates are still pretty slow, not withstanding
the "hash aggregator" that should come out in 7.4 which still scans
the whole table instead of using supporting indexes.

| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| |
| Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a |
| hotel with a bunch of journalists in it." |
| Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired) |