Re: Call for port reports

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for port reports
Date: 2004-12-07 05:19:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> ./configure --prefix=SOMEWHERE --enable-thread-safety --with-tcl \
>> --with-perl --with-python --with-krb5 --with-pam -with-openssl
>> make
>> make install
>> make check

> buildfarm actually runs in this order:

> make
> make check
> make contrib
> make install
> ... more steps

> I assume that's ok.

There is a difference, which is that on some (most?) platforms the
latter sequence will involve "make check" invoking the libpq shared
library that was installed by the previous iteration of "make install".

I'm not sure that this matters a whole lot for the buildfarm, since at
worst it would result in failures for one test cycle when libpq.so
changes incompatibly. But it's important to realize what you are testing.