Re:

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: gerard(dot)tourres(at)free(dot)fr
Cc: Forum PostgreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re:
Date: 2003-05-23 11:16:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 08:46, Gerard TOURRES wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with the postmaster. When I try to start it with
> "/etc/init.d/postgresql start", i get the
> message [FAILED]. When I try to stop it, it's the same thing. Of
> course, when i want to connect to the database
> with psql ..., i have the message "can't connect to server ....". I
> have already started it before and i don't reboot since.
>
> The command "netstat -na|grep 5432" don't give any answer. Moreover, i
> delete the postmaster.pid file because I thought it
> was the problem but it always failed.

You need to dig into /etc/init.d/postgresql to find out what it is
doing. You don't say what system you are on.

Eventually, that program is going to be running the postmaster, after
setting up the environment. You need to set up the same environment and
then run postmaster directly, so that you can see what errors there are.

It may be that the errors have been logged somewhere; if you can find
the log, you may not need to run postmaster directly...

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver