Re: Floating point comparison inconsistencies of the geometric types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>
Cc: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Floating point comparison inconsistencies of the geometric types
Date: 2016-06-01 18:52:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca> writes:
> One of the things people find annoying about postgis is that
> ST_Intersects(ST_Intersection(a, b), a) can come out as false (a
> derived point at a crossing of lines may not exactly intersect either
> of the input lines), which is a direct result of our use of exact math
> for the boolean intersects test.

That's an interesting comment, because it's more or less exactly the
type of failure that we could expect to get if we remove fuzzy comparisons
from the built-in types. How much of a problem is it in practice for
PostGIS users? Do you have any plans to change it?

> Anyways, go forth and do whatever makes sense for PgSQL

I think we're trying to figure out what that is ...