Re: [HACKERS] [leon@udmnet.ru: [GENERAL] Weird behavior of 'default user']

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [leon@udmnet.ru: [GENERAL] Weird behavior of 'default user']
Date: 1999-07-16 17:25:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu> forwards:
> This absolutely beyond my mind. This means that user, being
> inserted explicitly, is correctly truncated. If it is inserted
> by default, it is wider than column! Seems something very strange
> is going on here.

Yes, I thought that some cases of default insertion were still broken,
and I was right. The patch Bruce put in before only fixes the case
of a wrong-length string constant being given as the default for a
char(n) field. When the default is not a constant, there needs to be
a run-time length coercion to char(n), and there isn't.

I have some work to do in that part of the parser anyway; will take care
of it (but not in time for 6.5.1, I fear).