Re: ANALYZE after restore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ANALYZE after restore
Date: 2002-04-03 17:56:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> ... And PostgreSQL needs some frequent VACUUM
> anyway, so after a while this problem solves itself for the
> average user.

Yes, that's the key point for me too. Anyone who doesn't set up for
routine vacuums/analyzes is going to have performance problems anyway.
Attacking that by making pg_dump force a vacuum is attacking the wrong
place.

There's been discussion of adding automatic background vacuums to
Postgres; that seems like a more useful response to the issue.