Re: Missing tables in postgresql 7.2.4

From: "Michael Beckstette" <mbeckste(at)TechFak(dot)Uni-Bielefeld(dot)DE>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing tables in postgresql 7.2.4
Date: 2005-05-12 00:06:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On May 11, 2:39pm, Tom Lane wrote:

> What I would recommend as a first step is to stop the postmaster and
> then take a tarball backup of the entire $PGDATA tree. This will at
> least provide a chance to go back if subsequent tries mess things up
> completely.

Done. This was probably the biggest tar ball I have ever build (~450GB) ;)

> After that, I'd try a plain VACUUM (not FULL, not FREEZE) of pg_class
> and see if that restores the missing tables to view in pg_tables.

Done. The tables that were missing in pg_tables (but accessible with SELECT)
are now listed in pg_tables.

> If it does, go ahead and do a database-wide plain VACUUM, and you
> should be OK.

Done. As far as I can tell, everything is OK again.

Thanks a lot Tom!

P.S.:A TODO for me: CRON Script for weekly VACUUM ;)

Michael

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Beckstette Office: M3-129
AG-PI / Technische Fakultaet EMail:mbeckste(at)techfak(dot)uni-bielefeld(dot)de
Universitaet Bielefeld Fon: +49-521-106-2914
Postfach 100131 Fax: +49-521-106-6411
D-33501 BIELEFELD
Germany