Bug introduced by recent ALTER OWNER permissions check change

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Bug introduced by recent ALTER OWNER permissions check change
Date: 2005-08-04 01:15:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

postgres=# create user u1;
CREATE ROLE
postgres=# create schema s1;
CREATE SCHEMA
postgres=# create table s1.t1(f1 int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# alter table s1.t1 owner to u1;
ERROR: permission denied for schema s1
postgres=#

Considering I am superuser, it should darn well allow this.

The problem of course is the test that u1 would have the rights to
create t1 in s1, which he doesn't. I think we have to skip that
test if superuser. As long as we need an explicit test on
superuserness, we may as well skip *all* the added code.

Comments?