Re: Are we losing momentum?

From: Tony Grant <tony(at)tgds(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date: 2003-04-15 06:12:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 00:37, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Several people have asked if we are losing momentum. Specifically, they
> are concerned about Red Hat dropping their Red Hat Database and instead
> distributing PostgreSQL as part of Red Hat Enterprise Server, and they
> are concerned about recent press articles about MySQL.

Just reading GENERAL every day shows quite the contrary! There are more
and more questions which really belong on NOVICE. More and more
questions about porting applications from MySQL and Access.

RedHat renaming "PostgreSQL" to "PostgreSQL" after a short stint a.k.a.
"Red Hat Database" is a very positive step.

Lots of stupid journalists are starting to write "replace Oracle with
MySQL" rubbish. I am very concerned about this because the DBA who is
stupid enough to do this will fail miserably and get the wrong
impression about free RDBMS.

Lets forget the "replace MySQL with PostgreSQL" stuff and go looking for
higher end converts. Our marketing push should be "replace Oracle with
PostgreSQL and replace Access with MySQL". This puts the emphasis on
which database can do what...

Just my 2 EURO cents

Cheers
Tony Grant
(yes I use PostgreSQL where MySQL would suffice...)

--
www.tgds.net Library management software toolkit,
redhat linux on Sony Vaio C1XD,