Re: Perl 5.12 complains about ecpg parser-hacking scripts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, kris(at)shannon(dot)id(dot)au, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Perl 5.12 complains about ecpg parser-hacking scripts
Date: 2011-01-23 17:23:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net> writes:
> Is there anyway to make bison/yacc/gcc/etc spit out the rule names?

bison -v produces a debug output file that includes nicely cleaned-up
versions of all the rules. But it includes a lot of other stuff too,
and I'm not at all sure that the file format is stable across bison
versions, so maybe depending on that isn't a hot idea.

> I'm not sure rule name is the proper words. In gram.y we have:

"Production" is the standard technical name, but on the other hand the
bison documentation seems to consistently use the word "rule", so
there's probably nothing wrong with doing so here too.