Re: A test for replay of regression tests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Anastasia Lubennikova <lubennikovaav(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A test for replay of regression tests
Date: 2022-02-02 02:43:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Seen again today on prairiedog. Erm, scratch that idea, HS feedback
> interferes with test results. I guess max_standby_streaming_delay
> should be increased to 'forever', like in the attached, since pg_dump
> runs for a very long time on prairiedog:

FWIW, I'd vote for keeping a finite timeout, but making it say
ten minutes. If the thing gets stuck for some reason, you don't
really want the test waiting forever. (Some buildfarm animals
have overall-test-time limits, but I think it's not the default,
and the behavior when that gets hit is pretty unfriendly anyway
-- you don't get any report of the run at all.)