Re: updateable cursors & visibility

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Neil Conway'" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "'PostgreSQL Hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: updateable cursors & visibility
Date: 2003-03-31 16:43:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi Inoue kirjutas E, 31.03.2003 kell 19:08:

In what way would the _changes_made_to_the_order_ be reflected then ?

> > what happens, if the row you are on is removed from the keyset, either
> > by current or any other backend ?
>
> The dynamic cursor doesn't see the row any longer.

It seems to be doable with MVCC - "just" ;) check for visibility of
underlying tuples at each fetch. At least it does not seem any harder
for MVCC than for other CC methods.

> > > 3) keyset-driven
> > > It always detects changes to the values of rows.
> >
> > What about _new_ rows,
>
> It never detects new rows.

Then I must have misunderstood the "can detect any changes made to the
membership, order, and values" part. I assumed that "any changes" wold
also include rows that magically become part of the query by either
changes in values or being inserted.

> > or rows that no more belong to the "keyset" ?
>
> They are the same as deleted ones.

So they are no more visible to cursor ?