Re: case dumbiness in return from functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Nico Sabbi <nsabbi(at)officinedigitali(dot)it>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: case dumbiness in return from functions
Date: 2008-01-18 17:38:58
Lists: pgsql-general

> Actually I think the standard mandates case-folding (though to upper
> case rather than lower, i.e. the other way around)

That's how I read it too. SQL99 5.2 saith

22) The case-normal form of the <identifier body> of a <regular
identifier> is used for purposes such as and including
determination of identifier equivalence, representation in
the Definition and Information Schemas, and representation in
diagnostics areas.

NOTE 44 - Any lower-case letters for which there are no upper-
case equivalents are left in their lower-case form.

23) The <identifier body> of a <regular identifier> is equivalent
to an <identifier body> in which every letter that is a lower-
case letter is replaced by the equivalent upper-case letter or
letters. This treatment includes determination of equivalence,
representation in the Information and Definition Schemas,
representation in the diagnostics area, and similar uses.

In particular this appears to me to specifically require that column
names returned by a SELECT be case-normalized, which is what the OP
would like us to not do.