Re: PostgreSQL + IDS load/latency help

From: Tim Ellis <pvspam-postgres(at)hacklab(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL + IDS load/latency help
Date: 2003-03-27 21:27:42
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 07:12, Loki wrote:
> We have a PostgreSQL database full of over 500,000 events.
> When the database has a small number of events, to
> retrieve a specific event stored in that db takes a mere
> few seconds.
>
> However, as the database grew in size to where it is now,
> it takes over 15-20 seconds to get information back from a
> query to that database. We have tried everything,
> including vacuum, which someone else recommended to me.

Sometimes it's the simple things. Did you do an explain on the query to
see its access plan? I don't see anything in your post about indexes.

> Am I correct in saying that 500,000 events shouldn't be a
> problem? Is there anyone out there with more than 500,000
> events in their DB than what we currently have?

PostgreSQL can give you speedy access into billions of rows of data
given proper indexing and maintenance. I'd like to see your query's
access plan.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect and author, tedia2sql (http://tedia2sql.tigris.org)