Re: Point in time recovery?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, eivind(dot)arnesen(at)netcom(dot)no
Subject: Re: Point in time recovery?
Date: 2003-03-24 21:06:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 12:13, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:25:29AM +0000, eivind(dot)arnesen(at)netcom(dot)no wrote:
> > In order to recommend and support PostgreSQL, we need to make sure
> > that our data will be safe using PostgreSQL.
>
> [. . .]
>
> > to load the last backup from pg_dump. However, what about transactions
> > that has occured after the last backup? Would we be able to roll
> > forward to a particular point in time, so that the chances for data
> > loss is minimal? I've heard that this feature is currently missing,
> > but that it will be introduced in version 7.4 which should be out this
> > year.
> >
> > My problem is that we cannot recommend this product unless this feature
> > is present.

<snip good suggestions on replication>

ISTM that this thread misses the state of how resilient postgresql is to
data corruption in the first place. Problems like power outages and
server crashes (at either the os/kernel/application level) are almost
certainly not going to cause data loss. I could see possible issues with
hardware problems, but quality ram and raid can go a long way toward
minimizing these risks. While I suppose it's not 100%, nothing ever is.

Robert Treat