Re: cursors: SCROLL default, error messages

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cursors: SCROLL default, error messages
Date: 2003-03-24 17:24:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 12:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> I agree that the second of these is bogus. I'm ambivalent about
> changing the first; it's odd but perhaps there are apps out there
> that depend on it. Any other opinions out there?

For what it's worth, I noticed that the first (DECLARE CURSOR replacing
existing cursors with the same name) doesn't seem to be allowed by the
SQL spec:

(Section 14.1, Syntax Rules)

1. If a <declare cursor> is contained in an SQL-client module M, then:

(a) The <cursor name> shall not be equivalent to the <cursor
name> of any other <declare cursor> in M.

Personally, I'm inclined to change both of these cases to result in an
error...

Cheers,

Neil