Re: Removing binaries (was: createlang/droplang deprecated)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing binaries (was: createlang/droplang deprecated)
Date: 2017-03-18 20:23:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> createuser, dropuser - definitely pollutes the namespace, people do
> sometimes try them for the wrong thing. Unlike the db ones they do add
> value though -- I don't think we have a psql way of in a single command
> doing what --pwprompt on createuser does, do we? But given that we are in
> the process of breaking a lot of other scripts for 10, perhaps we should
> rename it to pg_createuser?

I'm not particularly on board with arguments like "we already broke a ton
of stuff so let's break some more". Eventually you've managed to create
a daunting barrier to upgrading at all.

I think a more reasonable way to proceed is to install symlinks
pg_createuser -> createuser (or the other direction), mark the older names
as deprecated, and announce that we'll remove the old names a few releases
from now. That gives people time to adjust.

Maybe we should handle createdb likewise, rather than just kicking it to
the curb. I know I use it quite often; it's less typing than psql -c
'create database ...' postgres, and still would be with a pg_ prefix.