Re: Case insensitivity, and option?

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Case insensitivity, and option?
Date: 2003-03-12 15:12:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 09:03, mlw wrote:
> I was at a client office reviewing some code. They use MSSQL and I
> noticed that:
>
> select * from table where field = 'blah';
> gave the same results as:
> select * from table where field = 'BLah';
>
> I was shocked. (a) because I know a lot of my code could be easier to
> write, and (b) that their code would break on every other database I am
> aware of. Does anyone know about this?

Same thing with MySQL. It's a royal pain in the ass.

It makes using non-ascii (unicode for example) text near to impossible
because of this.

> Is it practical/desirable for PostgreSQL to have this as a configuration
> setting?

I think we already support this. Create a new character set with upper
/ lower case specified as being equal and PostgreSQL should behave as
expected.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc