Re: pg_regress --temp-keep

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Reini Urban <rurban(at)x-ray(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_regress --temp-keep
Date: 2004-10-15 17:11:26
Lists: pgsql-patches

Reini Urban <rurban(at)x-ray(dot)at> writes:
> add boolean option --temp-keep to pg_regress to keep the existing
> tmp_check installation, instead of overwriting it with a fresh make
> install. Useful to test minor modifications in the current tmp_check
> installation.

This doesn't seem like a particularly good idea ... what's it going to
buy you except another way to shoot yourself in the foot?

What I'd rather see is some effort spent on speeding up our "install"
script, maybe by allowing it to install multiple files per invocation.
The recent changes to force install-all-headers have caused a
serious degradation of "make install" performance, and I think that's
where the issue really needs to be solved.