Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Bruce Badger <bruce_badger(at)badgerse(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-10 21:41:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 06:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> >> We already have that: you send a startup packet with a version less than
> >> the latest, and the backend speaks that version to you.
>
> > Yes, but that requires you know the backend is less than the latest.
>
> As opposed to knowing what? You send the version number you wish to speak;
> either the backend can handle it, or not.

If the backend can not handle the version I request, but can handle a
prior version, I'd like to know. I am planning on having handlers for
multiple protocol versions in the same memory space (I'm using
Smalltalk, BTW) so that one application can talk to various databases of
various vintages.

I suppose that the client can just keep retrying the connection with
different versions until it gets a match, though.