Re: Inlining of couple of functions in pl_exec.c improves performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inlining of couple of functions in pl_exec.c improves performance
Date: 2020-07-03 19:49:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I did some performance testing on 0001+0002 here, and found that
for me, there's basically no change on x86_64 but a win of 2 to 3
percent on aarch64, using Pavel's pi_est_1() as a representative
case for simple plpgsql statements. That squares with your original
results I believe. It's not clear to me whether any of the later
tests in this thread measured these changes in isolation, or only
with 0003 added.

Anyway, that's good enough for me, so I pushed 0001+0002 after a
little bit of additional cosmetic tweaking.

I attach your original 0003 here (it still applies, with some line
offsets). That's just so the cfbot doesn't get confused about what
it's supposed to test now.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
0003-Inline-exec_cast_value.patch text/x-diff 3.9 KB