Re: Postgresql performace question

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Mark Jones <markj(at)hackerjones(dot)org>
Cc: Mark Jones <mlist(at)hackerjones(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql performace question
Date: 2003-03-03 02:06:04
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> device. As mentioned above I may want to be able to sequentially read records
> from the database to be able to recreate the data stream that I received and
> recored. I would need to be able to read the records back fast enough to
> replay the at the same rate at which I received them.

It's only 20 /second, and it doesn't appear as if you'll be getting
bursts -- so it should be easy to handle. The trick is getting around
the lack of maintenance time.

7.4 will be much better suited for this application due to the index
corrections, however, in the mean time you'll need to do a little
trickery.

That is, create a new table for each ~month or so, then copy the last 24
hours of data into the new table, and change a marker so that queries go
against it. A month puts 54M records into the table -- not such a big
deal if you have good indexes.

Create two 'control' tables. One points to the table to do queries
from, the second points to the table(s) to inject new data into. Tech
your interface and data loader to use these to determine where to run
queries out of. An alternative approach is to use views and rules to
make it transparent -- alter the view to point at the new data source.

During the transition stage, you'll be querying out of the old table,
while doing the data load into both old and new with the data loader,
and copying the last 24 hours worth of data into the new table.

Once new table is ready (has data copied) update the 'query' control
table to have the interface query the new table. You can then drop the
old one.

It's a kludgy way of doing it, but gets around PostgreSQLs growing index
issue. Anything else and you'll see hick-ups during maintenance. MySQL
will require a similar technique, but for different reasons.

As stated above, PostgreSQL 7.4 is a few steps closer to being able to
deal with large table churn in a 24/7 environment. If you do the table
swap on a monthly basis, you could do a bulk archive of that tables data
very easily -- in which case you'll almost never need to vacuum ;)

A different (and perhaps easier) approach is to create a partial index
for each day doing everything else as you normally would on a single
table. Since you will have a segmented index, you can easily remove the
old indexes once the data has been archived. Once again, the goal is to
allow the index to shrink.

This will require you to vacuum frequently and have a large FSM. It's
also preferred you do a gradual archival of data and not in bulk.
Archive 10 minutes worth every 10 minutes after 3 days have past rather
than an entire days at once.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc