MD5 and passwords

From: "Kelvin Varst" <kelvin(at)varst(dot)dk>
To: "Postgresql PHP" <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: MD5 and passwords
Date: 2003-03-01 10:17:18
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi,

I have build a website where users need to identity themselfs using basic
auth. I have then installed auth_pgsql_mod on my Apache 2.0 server (Redhat
8.0), and that works fine. I would like to store the passwords in the
database in MD5 encrypted form, and that works fine to, if I write the md5
encrypted string in the database manually. When I use the md5sum to
translate plain text to md5 on the command line on my Linuxbox, and place
that in the database, it works fine. Now I want users to be able to write
plain written text on the webpage, and then the page translates that into a
md5 string and from there store the md5 string in the database. But it is
not the same encryption, I get two different encrypted strings if I use the
md5() function. Why?

Kelvin :-)