Re: ILIKE

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ILIKE
Date: 2003-02-24 22:20:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane kirjutas E, 24.02.2003 kell 19:30:
> > Hey, I don't want to take your ILIKE away. But at the time it was added
> > the claim was that it was for compatibility and now we learn that that was
> > wrong.

This _is_ a compatibility feature, just not as straightforward as you
may think, i.e. some databases have LIKE which behaves like our ILIKE.

> That is something to make people aware of, for example in the
> > documentation.
>
> It already does say
>
> : The keyword ILIKE can be used instead of LIKE to make the match case
> : insensitive according to the active locale. This is not in the SQL
> : standard but is a PostgreSQL extension.
>
> What else would you want to say?

Perhaps add (From the mail of Josh Berkus):

3) It's an easy search-and-replace operator for porting applications
from SQL databases which automatically do case-insensitive comparisons
using LIKE, such as MySQL and some installations of MSSQL.

Hannu