Re: GPL Licence

From: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Ben Clewett <B(dot)Clewett(at)roadrunner(dot)uk(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GPL Licence
Date: 2003-02-24 10:35:26
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 22:48, Ben Clewett wrote:
> PostgreSQL,
>
> Please help me. I need to understand how you see the bounderies of the
> GPL licence.
>
> I want to use PostgreSQL as the server of a commercial (non GPL)
> application. All PostgreSQL components will be clearly marked GPL with
> URL to sourse code, and readable GPL, to the satisfaction of PostgreSQL.

PostgreSQL is licensed under the BSD license, so it is perfectly OK to
do with it pretty much as you please.

> Can you please tell me whether that is acceptable under your
> understanding of the GPL?
>
> Specifically, with respect to MySQL take on the GPL, where the use of
> API's and lib's are seen as an extension to the main code, and therefore
> all applications must be GPL, or have a bespoke licence, or be illigal.
>
> Or other people who think that the use of API's and lib's form a logical
> abstracted boundery between the server and client, therefore not
> extending the product, therefore allowing commercial applications which
> are not GPL.

The BSD license certainly does not impose restrictions on you in this
regard.

> Can you please let me know whether we can use PostgrSQL or not?

Undoubtedly :-)

Regards,
Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/ PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201 MOB: +64(21)635-694 OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/