Re: pg_avd

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_avd
Date: 2003-02-18 05:28:06
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 22:25, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> This looks very good. It is something I have been hoping to have for
> 7.4. It does what I think everyone wanted, that is, uses the stats
> collector to determine what tables to vacuum.
>
> Just a few comments:
>
> The copyright line in the text should probably be removed.
> pg_avd seems pretty cryptic. Perhaps pg_autovacuum.
> I like the fact it is a client app.

The copyright line can be removed, I think it's there as part of a cut
and paste from kdevelop.

Also, changing the name is fine, if people like pg_autovacuum that is
fine with me.

Being a client app has advantages and disadvantages. It's simple, and
an avd crash won't effect the postmaster. However, there are bad things
also, it's not tightly coupled with postmaster startup and shutdown for
one.

Thanks for the feedback.