Re: Getting oid with libpq

From: jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl
To: "Johan C(dot) de Koning" <johan(dot)de(dot)koning(at)geodan(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting oid with libpq
Date: 2005-08-10 10:52:12
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Johan C. de Koning wrote:

> I have stored some large objects (which are images) with the lo_import
> function. Now I can read the images with the other functions like lo_read
> within libpq. But I have one problem with the oid I have to give to this
> method. Inside my program I will do a select like this

> Select texture from building_face where face_id > 100;

> Textures is the oid field. When I use PQgetValue() I get a complete
> different value then when I do a select inside pgAdmin. How can I get the
> same oid so that I can use this for reading the data of the images inside
> my c++ program. Because it is not working with the oid from PQgetValue.

Just a guess, but...

One mistake many people make is to cast the char * returned by
PQgetValue() to the type they expect to get. Which won't work, since it's
a pointer to a value (in this case a number) in a textual format. It
needs to be parsed so you get the actual numeric value.

Also, when you parse the number, be aware that the standard-library
functions (such as sscanf()) take the applicable locale setting into
account--which is not what you want in this case. Best reset to the
default locale before parsing.

Jeroen