Re: Mystery function error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Richard Sydney-Smith <richard(at)ibisaustralia(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mystery function error
Date: 2003-09-28 19:04:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Hmmm ... this does still seem to show that plpgsql is 10% slower in
> 7.4.

Yeah, I just did some profiling to check on that, and it seems there is
extra overhead in plpgsql's exec_eval_simple_expr(), to the tune of
another palloc or two down inside CreateExprContext(). This probably
would not show up so heavily in a more complex plpgsql function, but
it's a noticeable percentage in this trivial example.

I had noticed this before but I'm not sure there's any easy solution.
Awhile back I looked at saving the exprcontext across calls instead of
creating and deleting it on each call to exec_eval_simple_expr, but the
idea broke down in situations involving recursive plpgsql functions.
I'll take another look though.