Question: unique on multiple columns

From: roverr <roverr(at)dogpound(dot)is-a-geek(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question: unique on multiple columns
Date: 2003-02-05 11:46:35
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm running postgresql 7.2.1.
Is there a way to specify a constraint such that the combination
of two columns in a table is unique?

I have a table as follows:
col 1: id, type serial, primary key
col 2: host_id, type integer, foreign key to hosts table
col 3: data_time, type timestamp
col 4 - 9 data that is unique to col 2 and 3

I wish to have a constraint such that the combination
of the host_id entry in col 2 and each data_time entry
in col 3 must be unique.
My thoughts are to calculate a new column based on
col 2 and 3 and force that to be unique. Is this
the correct approach or is my table layout hopelessly
flawed?

Thanks in advance,
Gary