Re: Website troubles

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com, Tony Grant <tony(at)tgds(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Website troubles
Date: 2003-01-29 23:46:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 14:11, greg(at)turnstep(dot)com wrote:

> >> Was it ever resolved exactly what happened to the website last
> >> weekend?
> >
> > Read a little more news my friend!
> >
> > The whole internet was paralysed by a worm trying to bring down
> > all the SQL servers of the earth.
>
> I was well aware of the news, and saying "the whole internet" was paralyzed
> is bit dramatic. I was interested in learning how a worm that propagates
> on a port used by a Microsoft database managed to affect the website
> so that no free php connections were available.

Yes, that's absolute nonsense. A far more likely scenario was the fact
that Friday afternoon slashdot posted an article about the .org cutover
which started generating more traffic as people wanted to find out more
about postgresql. If you read through the slashdot replies you'll note
someone posting early Saturday morning he is getting the php errors. Go
Occum.

> I am also interested in why it took so long for it to be resolved, and I
> would like to explore the idea of using dynamic pages only when absolutely
> necessary.

I think these are all valid questions that i hope to see addressed.

> > Sh-t happens...
>
> Thanks for the insight.

Well, maybe it does, but when an important news story drives new
eyeballs to your website, you need something better than a bouncing $hit
happens logo if you want to make a positive impression. All Greg wants
to know is what caused the problem and what steps are being taken to
make sure it doesn't happen again. That's hardly unreasonable.

Robert Treat