postgresql installation

From: Art Fore <afore(at)sonic(dot)net>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql installation
Date: 2003-01-26 08:08:37
Lists: pgsql-ports

Postgresql 7.2 on SuSE 8.0.

I find the installation of Postgresql extremely complex. I have gotten
it installed, but not yet setup with user and database mainly because
the documentation sucks.

The doc file in SuSE are in sgml. Reading these with abiword or OOo
writer is difficult. Installing sgmltools has so many dependencies that
it is impossible. Ever doc on the postgresql/doc site says too many
people accessing the files, and most of the google sites do not have
what I am looking for.

For a new user, you need SIMPLE howto to setup a test database. Really,
there should be a script to carry you through all of this. I thought
Mysql was bad, postgresql is much worse in this aspect. One should not
have to spend days researching info just to get to where you can login
and create a database.

PLEASE IMPROVE YOUR DOCUMENTATION

Art Fore