Re: Problem with LIKE-Performance

From: "Tarabas (Manuel Rorarius)" <tarabas(at)tarabas(dot)de>
To: "Dave Dutcher" <dave(at)tridecap(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with LIKE-Performance
Date: 2006-04-18 15:16:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Dave,

DD> It looks like you are getting a sequential scan instead of an index
DD> scan. What is your locale setting? As far as I know Postgres doesn't
DD> support using indexes with LIKE unless you are using the C locale.

Actually no, I am using de_DE as locale because I need the german
order-by support. But even for a seq-scan it seems pretty slow, but that's
just a feeling. The table currently has ~172.000 rows and is suposed to
rise to about 1 mio or more.

Is there any way to speed the like's up with a different locale than C
or to get an order by in a different Locale although using the
default C locale?

DD> Also, in the future you only need to post EXPLAIN ANALYZE not EXPLAIN
DD> ANALYZE VERBOSE.

ok, i will keep that in mind :-) didn't know how verbose you would need
it *smile*

Best regards
Manuel